by Ed Lyon
William Gerald Fitzgerald was a pre-trial detainee at a jail in Harris County, Texas when, on May 18, 2013, he was attacked from behind by jailer Myron Nelson. Nelson struck Fitzgerald in the right eye hard enough to dislodge the lens, tearing both the iris and cornea ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Washington State: Jail Phone Rates Increase as Video Replaces In-Person Visits, by Steve Horn, Iris Wagner
- Florida: Federal Prison Guard Sentenced for Accepting Bribe, by Monte McCoin
- Class-action Settlement in Mississippi “Debtors’ Prison” Case, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado Accused of Failing to Comply with Settlement in Mental Health Care Suit, by Derek Gilna
- California Attorney Specializes in Representing Prisoners Victimized by Fraud, by Monte McCoin
- Angola Prison Lawsuit Poses Question: What Kind of Medical Care do Prisoners Deserve?, by Amanda Aronczyk, Katie Rose Quandt
- Pro se Texas Prisoner Wins $250,550 Default Judgment in Use of Force Case, by Edward Lyon
- Humanism to be Recognized as Approved Faith in North Carolina Prisons, by Kevin Bliss
- Louisiana Jail Settles with DOJ Over HIV Discrimination, by Dale Chappell
- Rhode Island: Life-sentenced Prisoner is “Civilly Dead,” Cannot Pursue Tort Claim, by Christopher Zoukis
- Florida ICE Detention Center Restricts Detainees’ Observance of Ramadan, by Steve Horn
- Australian Woman Gives Birth in Cell After Guards Can’t Unlock the Door, by Monte McCoin
- Low Pay, High Staff Turnover Drive Texas Prison Guard Shortage, by Matthew Clarke
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Iowa Prison Guard Wins $2 Million on Retaliation, Disability Accommodation Claims, by Edward Lyon
- New York: $100,000 to Settle Suit over Rape of Trans Prisoner Held in Men’s Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Over Prisoner Assault at Tennessee Jail Results in Settlement, Dismissal, by Kevin Bliss
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Landmark Stanford Prison Experiment Criticized as a Sham, by Steve Horn
- U.S. Marshals Capture Fugitive Former Prison Guard After 10 Years on the Run, by Monte McCoin
- Kentucky Reluctantly Returns to Prison Privatization
- New Jersey County Pays $95,000 to Female Lawyer “Wanded” Between Legs at Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, by Matthew Clarke
- $10 Million Class-action Lawsuit Against Virginia Jail Results in $725,000 Settlement, by R. Bailey
- HRDC Files Censorship Suit Against New Mexico Jail; Court Orders Dismissal Based on Mootness, by Steve Horn
- Florida Lawyer Arrested for Jail Porn Escapades
- Two Former Oklahoma Death Row Prisoners Obtain $3.15 Million Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault
- Formerly Incarcerated Chef Plans to Revolutionize Ramen, by Steve Horn
- Kentucky Law Requiring Abused Spouse to Pay for Abuser’s Divorce Attorney Abolished
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Convictions of Louisiana Jail Staff for Failing to Stop Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- North Carolina Fined $190,000 for Mismanagement of Prescription Medication, by Monte McCoin
- Arizona: Lawsuit Spurs Significant Reforms for Death Row Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon County Pays $2.85 Million for Dehydration Death of Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner, by Dale Chappell
- Black Liberation Army Members Convicted of Murdering Cops Granted Parole, by Christopher Zoukis
- Editorial: The Case Against Florida’s Amendment 4 on Felon Voting Rights, by Paul Wright
- Private Prison Company Pays to Play; Federal Election Commission Fails to Act, by Christopher Zoukis
- The Big Business of Prisoner Care Packages: Inside the Booming Market for Food in Pouches, by Taylor Elizabeth Eldridge
- Solitary Confinement Reforms Sweeping the Nation but Still Not Enough, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Advocacy Groups Call for End to Ban on In-person Visits at Tennessee Jail
- News in Brief
More from Edward Lyon:
- Correct Care Solutions Redux: Poor Medical Care Leads to More Deaths, Lawsuits, Dec. 7, 2018
- Mentally Ill Wisconsin Prisoners Held in Solitary Improperly Reclassified, Dec. 5, 2018
- Under “In-House Parole,” New Mexico Prisoners Remain in Prison, Dec. 5, 2018
- Indiana Prisoner Obtains $85,000 Settlement After Being Beaten and Tased, Dec. 5, 2018
- Oklahoma’s Railroading its Citizens into Prison, Dec. 5, 2018
- Free at Last! California Modifies Its Felony Murder Law, Helping up to 800 Prisoners Currently Serving Life Sentences, Nov. 28, 2018
- Female Texas Prison Guards Allege Sexual Harassment, Abuse, Discrimination, Nov. 6, 2018
- New Mexico Prisoners Suffer and Die Under Privatized Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018
- #MeToo Movement, Misconduct Claims Impact Federal and State Judges, Nov. 6, 2018
- California Muslim Prisoner Defeats Summary Judgment Order in Mixed Appellate Ruling, Nov. 6, 2018
More from these topics:
- $550,000 Settlement for Detainee Rendered Quadriplegic by Guard’s Excessive Force, Dec. 7, 2018. Skeletal Injury, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- Michigan Prisoner Awarded $16,500 for Guard’s Assault and Cover-up, Dec. 7, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Dismissal of Pro Se Prisoner’s Sexual Assault, Excessive Force Case Reversed, Dec. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Indiana Prisoner Obtains $85,000 Settlement After Being Beaten and Tased, Dec. 5, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Stun Guns/Tasers, Settlements.
- Prisoner Can Face Discipline Yet Still Sue Guard for Excessive Force Under Heck, Nov. 7, 2018. Disciplinary Hearings, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Mississippi: Former Jailer Acquitted of Criminal Charges in Prisoner’s Death, Nov. 7, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Criminal Prosecution, Failure to Protect (General), Guard Brutality/Beatings, Suicides.
- Ohio Jail Detainee Receives $500,000 Settlement for Assault by Guard, Nov. 6, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s New Fuzzy Math Clearly Results in Inflated Assault Figures, Oct. 31, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Immigration, Assaults on Staff.
- Florida ICE Detention Center Restricts Detainees’ Observance of Ramadan, Oct. 12, 2018. Religious Discrimination, Guard Brutality/Beatings, RLUIPA, Immigration, Religious Diet.
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, Oct. 12, 2018. Seizures, Guard Brutality/Beatings.