by Matt Clarke
In April 2018, Saunders County, Nebraska and Advanced Correctional Healthcare, Inc. (ACH) agreed to pay $10,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by a former jail prisoner who was denied medication for a brain tumor.
When John Gillock, 43, was arrested on a misdemeanor theft charge, he ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Washington State: Jail Phone Rates Increase as Video Replaces In-Person Visits, by Steve Horn, Iris Wagner
- Florida: Federal Prison Guard Sentenced for Accepting Bribe, by Monte McCoin
- Class-action Settlement in Mississippi “Debtors’ Prison” Case, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado Accused of Failing to Comply with Settlement in Mental Health Care Suit, by Derek Gilna
- California Attorney Specializes in Representing Prisoners Victimized by Fraud, by Monte McCoin
- Angola Prison Lawsuit Poses Question: What Kind of Medical Care do Prisoners Deserve?, by Amanda Aronczyk, Katie Rose Quandt
- Pro se Texas Prisoner Wins $250,550 Default Judgment in Use of Force Case, by Edward Lyon
- Humanism to be Recognized as Approved Faith in North Carolina Prisons, by Kevin Bliss
- Louisiana Jail Settles with DOJ Over HIV Discrimination, by Dale Chappell
- Rhode Island: Life-sentenced Prisoner is “Civilly Dead,” Cannot Pursue Tort Claim, by Christopher Zoukis
- Florida ICE Detention Center Restricts Detainees’ Observance of Ramadan, by Steve Horn
- Australian Woman Gives Birth in Cell After Guards Can’t Unlock the Door, by Monte McCoin
- Low Pay, High Staff Turnover Drive Texas Prison Guard Shortage, by Matthew Clarke
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Iowa Prison Guard Wins $2 Million on Retaliation, Disability Accommodation Claims, by Edward Lyon
- New York: $100,000 to Settle Suit over Rape of Trans Prisoner Held in Men’s Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Over Prisoner Assault at Tennessee Jail Results in Settlement, Dismissal, by Kevin Bliss
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Landmark Stanford Prison Experiment Criticized as a Sham, by Steve Horn
- U.S. Marshals Capture Fugitive Former Prison Guard After 10 Years on the Run, by Monte McCoin
- Kentucky Reluctantly Returns to Prison Privatization
- New Jersey County Pays $95,000 to Female Lawyer “Wanded” Between Legs at Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, by Matthew Clarke
- $10 Million Class-action Lawsuit Against Virginia Jail Results in $725,000 Settlement, by R. Bailey
- HRDC Files Censorship Suit Against New Mexico Jail; Court Orders Dismissal Based on Mootness, by Steve Horn
- Florida Lawyer Arrested for Jail Porn Escapades
- Two Former Oklahoma Death Row Prisoners Obtain $3.15 Million Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault
- Formerly Incarcerated Chef Plans to Revolutionize Ramen, by Steve Horn
- Kentucky Law Requiring Abused Spouse to Pay for Abuser’s Divorce Attorney Abolished
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Convictions of Louisiana Jail Staff for Failing to Stop Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- North Carolina Fined $190,000 for Mismanagement of Prescription Medication, by Monte McCoin
- Arizona: Lawsuit Spurs Significant Reforms for Death Row Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon County Pays $2.85 Million for Dehydration Death of Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner, by Dale Chappell
- Black Liberation Army Members Convicted of Murdering Cops Granted Parole, by Christopher Zoukis
- Editorial: The Case Against Florida’s Amendment 4 on Felon Voting Rights, by Paul Wright
- Private Prison Company Pays to Play; Federal Election Commission Fails to Act, by Christopher Zoukis
- The Big Business of Prisoner Care Packages: Inside the Booming Market for Food in Pouches, by Taylor Elizabeth Eldridge
- Solitary Confinement Reforms Sweeping the Nation but Still Not Enough, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Advocacy Groups Call for End to Ban on In-person Visits at Tennessee Jail
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Bronx Prosecutors Trained to Manipulate System to Delay Trials, Feb. 14, 2019
- Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rosenstein Defends Junk Science Forensics, Feb. 14, 2019
- Third Circuit Orders Habeas Relief Based on Trial Counsel’s Failure to Present or Even Investigate Mental Health and Juvenile Records in Pennsylvania Death Penalty Case, Feb. 14, 2019
- Sixth Circuit Reverses 60-Month Upward Variance Sentence Based on News Article Provided to Parties by Court at Beginning of Sentencing Hearing, Feb. 14, 2019
- First Circuit Announces No Joint Participation Exception to Spousal Testimonial Privilege, Feb. 14, 2019
- Minnesota Supreme Court Holds Sentencing Guidelines at Time of Offense, Not Time of Sentencing, Controls for Purposes of Calculating Criminal History Score, Feb. 14, 2019
- Ninth Circuit Grants Habeas Relief for Ineffective Assistance of Resentencing Counsel, Feb. 5, 2019
- Baby Dies Days After Prisoner Gives Birth in Isolation Cell at Texas Jail, Feb. 5, 2019
- $1 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Texas Jail Prisoner’s Death, Feb. 5, 2019
- Oklahoma is Number One ... in Incarceration Rates, Feb. 5, 2019
More from these topics:
- Eighth Circuit: Severe Pain Caused by Actual Injury Satisfies PLRA Physical Injury Requirement, Feb. 4, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Criminal justice system reform, Medical, Pain, Surgery, Failure to Treat, Failure to Protect (General), PLRA, Physical Injury Rule, Excessive Force.
- Connecticut DOC Settles Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawsuit for $1.3 Million, Feb. 4, 2019. Medical, Cancer, Misdiagnosis, Settlements.
- Preliminary Settlement in Class-Action HCV Suit Against Pennsylvania DOC, Feb. 4, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Medical, Hepatitis, Failure to Treat.
- $375,000-plus Settlement in Wrongful Death Suit Against Jail, Dec. 13, 2018. Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat.
- CCS Seeks to Hide Internal Review in Jail Detainee’s Death; $180,000 Settlement, Nov. 6, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Medication, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Private Contractors, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Washington: Jail Detainee Obtains $1 Million Settlement for Spinal Injury, Nov. 6, 2018. Skeletal Injury, Failure to Treat, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- On the Inside: The Chaos of Arizona Prison Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018. Corizon, Systemic Medical Neglect, Private Contractors, Misdiagnosis, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Vermont Cancels Contract with Pennsylvania to House State Prisoners, Oct. 14, 2018. Retaliation, Failure to Treat.
- North Carolina Fined $190,000 for Mismanagement of Prescription Medication, Oct. 8, 2018. Medical Misconduct, Medication.
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.