by Matt Clarke
In April 2018, Saunders County, Nebraska and Advanced Correctional Healthcare, Inc. (ACH) agreed to pay $10,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by a former jail prisoner who was denied medication for a brain tumor.
When John Gillock, 43, was arrested on a misdemeanor theft charge, he ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Washington State: Jail Phone Rates Increase as Video Replaces In-Person Visits, by Steve Horn, Iris Wagner
- Florida: Federal Prison Guard Sentenced for Accepting Bribe, by Monte McCoin
- Class-action Settlement in Mississippi “Debtors’ Prison” Case, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado Accused of Failing to Comply with Settlement in Mental Health Care Suit, by Derek Gilna
- California Attorney Specializes in Representing Prisoners Victimized by Fraud, by Monte McCoin
- Angola Prison Lawsuit Poses Question: What Kind of Medical Care do Prisoners Deserve?, by Amanda Aronczyk, Katie Rose Quandt
- Pro se Texas Prisoner Wins $250,550 Default Judgment in Use of Force Case, by Edward Lyon
- Humanism to be Recognized as Approved Faith in North Carolina Prisons, by Kevin Bliss
- Louisiana Jail Settles with DOJ Over HIV Discrimination, by Dale Chappell
- Rhode Island: Life-sentenced Prisoner is “Civilly Dead,” Cannot Pursue Tort Claim, by Christopher Zoukis
- Florida ICE Detention Center Restricts Detainees’ Observance of Ramadan, by Steve Horn
- Australian Woman Gives Birth in Cell After Guards Can’t Unlock the Door, by Monte McCoin
- Low Pay, High Staff Turnover Drive Texas Prison Guard Shortage, by Matthew Clarke
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Iowa Prison Guard Wins $2 Million on Retaliation, Disability Accommodation Claims, by Edward Lyon
- New York: $100,000 to Settle Suit over Rape of Trans Prisoner Held in Men’s Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Over Prisoner Assault at Tennessee Jail Results in Settlement, Dismissal, by Kevin Bliss
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Landmark Stanford Prison Experiment Criticized as a Sham, by Steve Horn
- U.S. Marshals Capture Fugitive Former Prison Guard After 10 Years on the Run, by Monte McCoin
- Kentucky Reluctantly Returns to Prison Privatization
- New Jersey County Pays $95,000 to Female Lawyer “Wanded” Between Legs at Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, by Matthew Clarke
- $10 Million Class-action Lawsuit Against Virginia Jail Results in $725,000 Settlement, by R. Bailey
- HRDC Files Censorship Suit Against New Mexico Jail; Court Orders Dismissal Based on Mootness, by Steve Horn
- Florida Lawyer Arrested for Jail Porn Escapades
- Two Former Oklahoma Death Row Prisoners Obtain $3.15 Million Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault
- Formerly Incarcerated Chef Plans to Revolutionize Ramen, by Steve Horn
- Kentucky Law Requiring Abused Spouse to Pay for Abuser’s Divorce Attorney Abolished
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Convictions of Louisiana Jail Staff for Failing to Stop Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- North Carolina Fined $190,000 for Mismanagement of Prescription Medication, by Monte McCoin
- Arizona: Lawsuit Spurs Significant Reforms for Death Row Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon County Pays $2.85 Million for Dehydration Death of Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner, by Dale Chappell
- Black Liberation Army Members Convicted of Murdering Cops Granted Parole, by Christopher Zoukis
- Editorial: The Case Against Florida’s Amendment 4 on Felon Voting Rights, by Paul Wright
- Private Prison Company Pays to Play; Federal Election Commission Fails to Act, by Christopher Zoukis
- The Big Business of Prisoner Care Packages: Inside the Booming Market for Food in Pouches, by Taylor Elizabeth Eldridge
- Solitary Confinement Reforms Sweeping the Nation but Still Not Enough, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Advocacy Groups Call for End to Ban on In-person Visits at Tennessee Jail
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Ohio Prison Officials Announce Measures to Prevent Another Transport Bus Murder, Dec. 5, 2018
- Tenth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Gang Member’s Failure-to-Protect Lawsuit, Dec. 5, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Grants Habeas for Appellate Lawyer’s Failure to Raise Denial of Self-Representation Claim, Dec. 5, 2018
- Defense Investigator Jailed for Initially Refusing to Testify in Death Penalty Case, Nov. 7, 2018
- Class-Action Status Granted in Civil Rights Suit Over Disenfranchised Indiana Jail Prisoners, Nov. 6, 2018
- Polls Show People Favor Rehabilitation over Incarceration, Nov. 6, 2018
- Maricopa County, Phoenix Settle Lawsuit Over Mentally Ill Prisoner’s Death for $7.25 Million, Nov. 6, 2018
- Alaska Supreme Court Reverses Disciplinary Case Where Prisoner Not Allowed to Call Witnesses, Nov. 6, 2018
- Federal District Court Holds Ohio Prison Cannot Cut Rastafarian Prisoner’s Hair, Nov. 6, 2018
- Denver Pays $100,000 to Settle DOJ Suit Over Failure to Accommodate Diabetic Deputy, Nov. 6, 2018
More from these topics:
- CCS Seeks to Hide Internal Review in Jail Detainee’s Death; $180,000 Settlement, Nov. 6, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Medication, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Private Contractors, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Washington: Jail Detainee Obtains $1 Million Settlement for Spinal Injury, Nov. 6, 2018. Skeletal Injury, Failure to Treat, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- On the Inside: The Chaos of Arizona Prison Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018. Corizon, Systemic Medical Neglect, Private Contractors, Misdiagnosis, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- North Carolina Fined $190,000 for Mismanagement of Prescription Medication, Oct. 8, 2018. Medical Misconduct, Medication.
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, Sept. 5, 2018. Failure to Treat, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Release and Reentry.
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, Sept. 4, 2018. OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Mothers in Prison, Children of Prisoners.
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018. LaSalle Management Company, Diabetes, Failure to Treat, Settlements.
- Georgia Medical Prison Rife with Dysfunction, Abuse and Dilapidated Conditions, Sept. 3, 2018. Medical, Systemic Medical Neglect, Failure to Treat, Totality of Conditions.
- Illinois: $4.75 Million Settlement in Jail Seizure Injury Case, Sept. 2, 2018. Seizures, Failure to Treat.