Prison Riot Crushed in Venezuela
Loaded on April 15, 1993 published in Prison Legal News April, 1993, page 9
According to Radio Caracas, at least 180 of the 240 people tried in relation to the Nov. 27 coup attempt were sentenced and the rest absolved. 180 rebels got sentences of 18 to 20 years. The maximum sentence in Venezuela is 30 years.
Weekly News Update
More from this issue:
- Three Strikes and You're Out, Again, by Ed Mead
- Release Not Appropriate Relief for Beatings
- Prison Escapes and Killings Down
- 24 Cops Killed in First Half of 1992
- Inquiry Stepped up in Georgia Prison Sex Case
- NY Corrections Commissioner Pleads Guilty
- Death Row Prisoners Can Marry
- NYC Claims Prisoners Shoot Themselves to File Suit
- VA Builds More Prisons
- Change in IFP Status Does Not Require Fee Payment
- Punishment of Pretrial Detainees Unlawful
- Denial of Winter Clothing Cruel and Unusual
- Right to Religious Diet Clearly Established
- Confiscation of Law Books States Claim
- Infraction Suits Must Exhaust Administrative Remedies
- Wisconsin Lacks Adequate State Remedies for Due Process Violations
- Nominal Damages Awarded in Prison Rape Case
- State Liable for County Jail Overcrowding
- Blind Pretrial Detainees Entitled to Treatment
- Damages Awarded to HIV+ Jail Prisoner
- DOC Phone Rip Off, by Paul Wright
- From The Editor, by Paul Wright
- AT&T Exploits Prison Labor
- Peruvian Political Prisoners Mistreated, by Paul Wright
- Prison Riot Crushed in Venezuela
- Article Clarification Revisited, by RK
- New Video Tape Available
More from these topics:
- Incarceration Nations: A Journey to Justice in Prisons Around the World, by Baz Dreisinger, May 5, 2017. Private Prisons, Commentary/Reviews, International.
- “PrisonCloud” Provides Limited Internet Access to Belgian Prisoners, March 31, 2017. Prisoners-International, Internet.
- The Other Conspirator: Secret Origins of the CIA's Torture Program, March 31, 2017. Prisoners-International, CIA.
- Delaware Prisoners Demand Education, Rehabilitation, March 9, 2017. Prison Rebellion, Education, Rehabilitation/Recidivism.
- 2017 Has Already Seen Several Prison Rebellions, March 2, 2017. Prison Rebellion, Hunger Strikes, Work Strikes, Protests, Statistics/Trends, Totality of Conditions.
- The Private Prison Primer: Stolen shoes and the Kingman riots , Feb. 16, 2017. Private Prisons, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Management and Training Corporation, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Prison Labor, Prison Rebellion, Voting, PLRA, Administrative Exhaustion (PLRA), Administrative Exhaustion, Public Records, Grievances.
- Riot at Private Prison in Arizona Prompts Review, Reforms and Change in Contractor, Feb. 8, 2017. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Management and Training Corporation, Contractor Misconduct, Corrections Audits, Prison Rebellion, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- Orange Crush: The Rise of Tactical Teams in Prison, Feb. 8, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Prison Rebellion, Prison Gangs, Cell Searches, Strip Searches, Totality of Conditions, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Water, Arrest and Booking, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Guards/Staff.
- Securus Phone Rates Spark Uprising at Alaska Prison , Jan. 10, 2017. Contractor Misconduct, Prison Rebellion, Telephones, Telephone Access, Telephone Rates.
- Continued Need for Prison and Criminal Justice Reforms, Jan. 10, 2017. Prison Labor, Prison Rebellion, Hunger Strikes, Work Strikes, Advocacy, Prison Reform, Conditions of Confinement, Failure to Protect (General), Overcrowding, Eighth Amendment.